Back Alley Bikes is proud to announce a collaboration with The Detroit Public Library (DPL). From the DPL Teen Hype Center website:
Be your own bike mechanic! Learn how to maintain, fix, and customize your bicycle. Biking is quickly gaining in popularity around the country, join in the movement and become a bike tech expert. In partnership with Back Alley Bikes bicycle shop.
The Teen HYPE Bike Program is for teens that have access to the HYPE Teen Center at the Library. Besides learning some greasy mechanical skills we want to talk about bikes, how youth fit in and how we all fit together here in Detroit specifically. Here are a few questions we’ll be exploring:
- What kind of bike is THAT? Activities that require specific types of bikes.
- What would your dream bike be? How people use bikes every day.
- How Detroit is changing/Is Detroit the motor City? Research Shinola Bike company.
- Working Bikes Discussion- when is it broken? Recyclability, maintenance, sustainability.
- Where do you ride your bike? Do you know the bike laws for Michigan? Bike Infrastructure, what it is and does it help.
- Is any bike okay to ride? Is there a difference between kids and adult bikes? Bike Sizes and Equivalent Discussion
- Describe a cyclist. What are they like? Who are they? What are the demographics of cyclists– why does that group of people cycle and not others? Why do these stereotypes exist at all?
- Why does biking suck? Why don’t you bike? When biking isn’t appropriate for everyone– who can’t bike? When can’t you bike? Do I have to own a car?
We’ll also be painting bikes, riding bikes (yes, indoors) and fixing bikes. Come join the conversation!