Back Alley Bikes is a Michigan non-profit organization (our 501(c)(3) is pending). If you desire a receipt for your donation for this purpose, please inform us before you come to better assist you. This is not required but if we don’t know you are coming you may be required to wait a short time for us to fill out the receipt.
By donating you also get the satisfaction of knowing your donation is assisting our effort to get youth on bikes and moving around the “motor” city under their own power!
II. What stuff are you looking for?
We are looking for mostly bikes and bike parts, but being that we have offices, educational and building materials are useful. Check out this list we came up with:
- Bike books/coloring books/magazines/periodicals for our bike library!
- Pens, pencils, markers and crayons
- Old (relatively clean) rags/clothing/linen for shop towels
- Steel wool, sponges, degreaser and other cleaning products
- Duct, packaging, electrical and masking tape
- 2 by 4s and other useable building supplies
- Spray and bucket paint/enamel (especially white for ghost bikes)
- Metric wrenches, screwdrivers and bike specific tools
- Extension Cords
- Money (cash/check)
- Your time as a volunteer
III. Where do I bring stuff?
For monetary and other material donations besides bikes please contact us. To donate bikes, you can drop them off at the following locations:
Dropping bicycles off at our partner shop, The Hub of Detroit, is the most convenient, but if another participating shop is closer to you, feel free to contact them to drop off a bike there. If none of those options work, please contact our Development Coordinator Heather who can best assist with incoming donations. Heather can be reached at Heather (at) thehubofdetroit.org or through the Back Alley Bikes phone number listed on this site.
IV. Wish List
Sometimes there are things we wish for that are larger than donations of bike parts that require a really generous person with a specific skill. And since you never get what you don’t ask for…
- New windows in our warehouse
- Assistance with painting the exterior (and interior) of our building (or just the paint to do it)
A digital camera to show the world what we are up to! Thanks!
- Cotter Pin Press
- 4th Hand Tool
Major electrical work in our warehouse space (rewiring, installation of outlets and switches) Thanks JMC Electrical!
File Cabinets Thanks!
Drop ceiling panels Thanks Boy Scouts!
Land-line phones Thanks!
V. More Questions
You have more questions? Email Heather (at) thehubofdetroit.org or give Back Alley Bikes a call about donating.