Youth Ride Club – Saturdays (all summer long)
The Youth Ride Club is for youth aged 10-17 years old to learn practical and safe riding techniques for sharing the road with other traffic. All rides take place in the street.
To prepare the youth for riding in the street all participants are required to complete a safety training before joining the group riding in the road. We will have safety trainings available every Saturday all summer for those wanting to join the club.
HOW IT WORKS
- Starting June 7th we will meet at 10am every Saturday for rides. Youth must arrive at 10am to participate in the ride that day. The rides should wrap up around 2pm.
- Permission slips are required for youth to participate in our rides.
- All bikes will be inspected for safety before each ride. If staff deems a bicycle unsafe to ride, it will not be going on the ride that day.
- We have a limited number of bicycles for youth to borrow for rides if they don’t have one, have trouble transporting their bicycle here or their bike is deemed unfit to ride by our staff.
- Helmets are required for youth to participate in rides. We have helmets to give out to youth that do not have one. Supplies are limited so each youth with only be given one helmet for the summer.
- All youth that complete the safety training and participate in a ride get a Back Alley Bikes youth ride club T-shirt!
For more information, call 313.879.5630, email jason (at) thehubofdetroit (dot) org, talk to staff during Youth Drop-In or come by on a Saturday during the summer.
May: In May a group of our youth will be designing this years Youth Ride Club t-shirt, making a screen and printing the shirts with our neighbors Ocelot Print Shop. If you are interested in designing or printing the shirts, give us a ring!
May 11th-17th: National Youth Ride week. This is a week that bike shops all over America will be encouraging youth to ride. This is before our summer program begins, but we’ll see if we can get a small ride going this week. Keep an eye out for that.
Saturday June 7th: In 2014 our riding season will begin on June 7th at 10am. On the 7th we will start with a safety training before going on a short ride to complete the day. Rides will then continue every Saturday the rest of the summer meeting at 10am.
August 10th-16th: National Youth Ride week #2. This week will be towards the end of our riding season so we’ll be counting how many miles our youth can put in during this week to brag to other cities across the country!
Saturday August 30th: The sixth annual Safe Streets Youth Ride. Our end of the summer ride is bigger than the rest. We’ll start later in the day with a BBQ at noon to fuel our riders and then take off after that. Come get one last youth ride in before the end of the summer!
Visit from West Town Bikes (Date TBA): West Town Bikes is a youth bike shop like ours located in Chicago. We are working on getting a group of their youth to come to Detroit and ride with us. Keep an eye here for that date to be announced.
During the summer of 2011 we met on the third Saturday of the month to ride with our Youth from the Youth Earn-a-Bike program.
We had 15 rides in 2012 which met every Saturday. This program expansion was made possible by a significant grant from the DALMAC Fund in 2012.
In 2013 we had 17 rides. 35 youth participated and rode over 600 miles collectively.