January 15th, 2017 Starting at 12am. Ending on January 16th, at 12am.
All riders gather pledges to help fund Back Alley Bikes’ programs. This is not a group ride with an entrance fee. All riders are asked to raise a minimum of $50. Riders will be riding at different times; some solo, some together throughout the 24 hours. Teams are encouraged! Riders have access to the workshop during the ride (for repairs and adjustments) there is a SAG vehicle on call for all 24 hours; and two meals + access to snacks and hot drinks will be provided during the ride. Check out the Facebook event: https://www.facebook.com/events/1128708560561385/
In 2013 12 of us rode for a total of 610 miles and raised just over $3,000!
2014 had 25 riders putting in a total of 1,400 miles and raising over $6,500!
2015 saw 50 riders going 3,338.2 miles and over $14,000 in donations, the biggest ride and most we’ve ever raised!
In 2016, there were about 40 riders going over 3,000 miles and raising just over $11,000!
You can register online at https://www.crowdrise.com/BikeTheBlizzard2017. Click the button with the words “Set Up Your Fundraiser” to start.
- There will be a dedicated sign in/sign out table. This means that you should check in with the person at this desk and let them know you’re starting to ride. You need to let them know how you are tracking your mileage (cycling computer, strava or other app, or by riding on pre-mapped routes & counting laps) and when you finish riding, you need to check out with them so they can record your final mileage before you go home.
- We will be offering cycling computers, rider identification bibs, and posters to every rider at registration. You can choose to take the poster home with you when you check out if you’d like.
- You must either raise the $50 donation minimum online by the 14th of January, or turn it in via cash or check by the 14th, or you will not be allowed to ride. This minimum applies per rider, so if you have a team of 5 that’s $250.
- We’re staging registration and such on the first floor, in CCNDC’s community room. We will keep half of this room dark for people who want to sleep on site during the event. Food and drinks will be down there as well for easy access and more room for bike parking.
- You will still have access to the Back Alley workshop if your bike breaks down or whatever, and people will be up there to help you out.
- We’re going to do three group rides: a kick off ride at midnight, a 3pm ‘blizzard mass’ and a closing ride at 11 pm.
- We’re doing a breakfast potluck at 9am! Bring a dish or encourage your loved ones to bring one for you. Please be vegan/gluten/allergy conscious.
- You don’t have to fund raise online! We print donation envelopes to collect pledges by cash & check, and it’s perfectly acceptable to just do that. Just email me back that you want an envelope and that you intend to fund raise the old fashioned way, I’ll collect some information from you, and all you need to do is get your $50 turned in by the 14th.
Per Mile Pledge Form (optional): http://thehubofdetroit.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/BtBPerMileDonationPledgeForm2017.pdf