In 2008 The Hub of Detroit opened in response to community demand and as a way to help fund raise for Back Alley Bikes. Little did we know that having a retail front on Cass would be one of the best advertising campaigns Back Alley Bikes would ever embark on.
The Hub of Detroit is a retail shop, but it is also an information Hub for what is happening in the Back Alley Bikes community. Also, we must mention that 100% of used bike and part sale profits go to benefit Back Alley Bikes. The Hub is more than a bike part, it is more than a bike shop.
With that said many folks wonder what we sell in our shop. Here is a list of a few things:
- We sell “new to you” (used) bikes ranging from~$70-$200 depending on the bike. Yes, we sell bikes.
- We do sell a limited number of “new to you” NEW bikes currently including a popular adult tricycle model.
- We sell new parts – you need a lock, lights, rack, handlebar tape, tools or a mirror? We can get that for you. We keep much of it in stock, but if we don’t have it, ask and we can probably order it.
- We sell used parts – selection is limited, but being that we get donations from folks there is a chance you can save a few bucks on that repair if we have a used part as a replacement.
- We do repairs – Did your bike break down? We can fix it for you. Anything that requires the bike going into the stand is a $5 minimum cost. However, bring your bike in for us to give you the best estimate on a repair.
Retail Shop Tips:
- Bring your bike in during the winter! Everyone wants to ride in the Spring and Summer. If your bike has been sitting in a basement all winter, it is probably collecting dust and needs a tune up. If you come into the shop in February, we need the money. We’ll probably give you a discount and you’ll get your bike back faster. Bring your bike in during June? We’ll fix it, but the turn around time is going to be much longer.
- If you only need to tighten up a bolt or get some air real quick we have a wrench and air hose available outside our front door in the warm months. Drop by and get some air and tighten up your stem bolt – won’t cost you a thing. Just don’t block the sidewalk – remember we need to share with other road users!
- If you buy a used bike from us, your first tune up is free (a $50 value). You don’t get that on craigslist!
Any more questions? Call the retail shop at 313.833.0813 or stroll over to the “contact us” page on this website.