Saturdays (All summer!)
The Youth Ride Club is a way for youth aged 10-17 years old to learn practical and safe riding techniques for sharing the road with other traffic. All rides take place in the street. Because of this, all participants are given safety training before joining the ride.
HOW IT WORKS
- Spring, Summer, and Fall – we will meet at 3pm every Saturday for rides. The rides will return at 5pm. See our calendar for specific dates and theme rides!
- Permission slips are required for youth to participate in our rides.
- All bikes will be inspected for safety before each ride. If staff deems a bicycle unsafe to ride, it will not be used.
- We have a limited number of bicycles for youth to borrow.
- Parents and guardians are welcome to come along!
- Helmets are required for anyone to participate in rides. We have helmets to give out to youth that do not already have one, as well as helmets to lend to adults.
For more information, call 313.879.5630, email bab (at) thehubofdetroit (dot) org, talk to staff during youth programming, or come by on a Saturday during the summer.
During the summer of 2011 we met on the third Saturday of the month to ride with participants of our Youth Earn-a-Bike program.
We had 15 rides in 2012 which met every Saturday. This program expansion was made possible by a significant grant from the DALMAC Fund in 2012.
In 2013 we had 17 rides. 35 youth participated and rode over 600 miles collectively.
In 2014, we continued our youth ride tradition. Our rides explored neighborhoods to our West, North, East, as well as enjoyed the Riverwalk to our South. As a result, the youth participated in a number of cultural events throughout the city.